Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Last Connection

Well, it's official, we have shed all outward evidence of our Utah origins. Although I had long ago given up my Utah driver license, Betty still proudly displayed her Utah license plate, of which I received many comments about and even once allowed a lost out of state Saint to follow us to the chapel one Sunday morning... but no more. Shortly after we moved, I changed my auto insurance policy to a Florida policy, not wanting to find out the hard way that my Utah policy was somehow void once I moved to Florida. The Florida DMV told me that it wasn't necessary to change my registration until my Utah one expired (which happened to be completely untrue), but I took their word for it because, well, wouldn't the DMV know about that kind of stuff? Anyway, because my insurance policy switched, the great state of Utah revoked my registration. Without telling me anything about it. What's that, you say? You didn't know they can revoke registration? Well, neither did I! Good thing I paid all of my taxes and such so that they can decide to revoke it later on, hmm? Anyway, I got a letter in the mail that had been cut open once and had three different forwarding notices on it. It informed me that Utah had revoked my registration on January 20th, and that I could not operate my vehicle on public roads under any circumstance. No warning, no 90 day notice, just revocation. Good thing I wasn't pulled over any time during the past two weeks. This goes hand in hand with the time Utah suspended my driver license and didn't bother to tell me about it. I found out by myself nine months later. So, thanks again, Utah, for all the wonderful bureaucratic nonsense, good riddance to you. It cost me $200 to re-register in Florida (though they don't require safety and emissions tests, go figure), which stinks because I'm likely to have to re-register in another state in six months anyway. But for now, Betty is sporting her brand new green and orange Florida tags, with "In God We Trust" proudly stamped on the bottom - as a show of faith, as a show of patriotism, and to make the secularists angry... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment